Building M, Basement, Room -104
– Amplifier for piezoelectric actuators
– Shaker and impact hammer for dynamic excitation of structures
– High-speed camera for vibration amplitude measurement
– NI Compact Rio embedded system with Labview FPGA
– Various commercial and custom modules for Piezoelectric Energy Harvesting
Multifunctional composite structures with piezoelectric sensors and actuators combine the excellent mechanical properties of composite structures with the additional capabilities to sense deformation and stress states and adapt their response accordingly. They have regained increased research attention in the last decade, since they can be combined with embedded microcontroller systems, whereas the use of composites has greatly expanded, mainly in the aerospace industry. In this context, the group is involved in modeling and experimental verification of the dynamic response of systems including composite materials and piezoelectric transducers. Our main current activities focus on: impact response of sandwich composite structures with piezoelectric sensors, vibration energy harvesting by connecting piezoelectric sensors to external circuitry, active control of free-vibration response of composite structures by means of piezoelectric actuators, and autonomous sensor wireless data transfer.
On Going Projects
For complete publications list see here
• Plagianakos, Th., Nikolaos Margelis, Nikolaos Leventakis, Georgios Bolanakis, Panagiotis Vartholomeos, and Papadopoulos, E., “Finite element-based assessment of energy harvesting in composite beams with piezoelectric transducers,” Journal of Materials: Design and Applications, March 2022. Vol 236, Issue 3, 2022, pp. 473–488. https://doi.org/10.1177/1464420721104658.
• Margelis, N., Plagianakos, Th., Karydis-Karandreas P., and Papadopoulos, E., “Assessment of impact energy harvesting in composite beams with piezoelectric transducers,” Sensors, Vol. 21, November 2021.
• Plagianakos, T.S., and Papadopoulos, E.G., “Coupled higher-order layerwise mechanics and finite element for cylindrical composite and sandwich shells with piezoelectric transducers,” European Journal of Mechanics – A/Solids, Vol. 54, November–December 2015, pp. 11–23.
• Plagianakos, T.S., Lika, K. and Papadopoulos, E.G., “Low-Velocity Impact Response of Smart Sandwich Composite Plates with Piezoelectric Transducers: Modeling and Experiments,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 27, April 2016, pp. 774-785.
• Plagianakos, T. and Papadopoulos, E., “Higher-order 2-D/3-D layerwise mechanics and finite elements for composite and sandwich composite plates with piezoelectric layers,” Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 40, January 2015, pp. 150-163.
• Plagianakos, T. and Papadopoulos, E., “Low-Energy Impact Response of Composite and Sandwich Composite Plates with Piezoelectric Sensory Layers,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 51, July 2014, pp. 2713-2727.